Mike Spencer Bown – 193 countries
Mike is a true traveler and explorer, who over a twenty plus year time period has traveled to every country in the world. Mike shared with me some incredible travel tales, including a road trip with a nun in a war-torn, African country. Mike has been on the road for over twenty years, exploring and discovering the remote corners of our planet. He travels slow and espouses a simpler lifestyle with all of his belongings in one bag.
More about Mike Spencer Bown:
- Born in: Canada
- Passports from: Canada
- Favorite travel book: I like old Jack Vance fantasy travel books such as The Dying Earth and Cugel’s Saga. Also, early travel accounts such as the First Footsteps in East Africa.
- Favorite travel site: I’m kinda old school, not a big user of the internet. I don’t travel with electronics, not even a phone or camera.
- Must carry: Mosquito net, a Swiss Army knife, Flagyl (for Giardia) and Coartem ( for Malaria). I bring a collared shirt for embassy visits. I also bring an outfit similar to what an NGO or U.N. inspector would wear, including clipboard for impersonating officials to get past roadblocks. And finally a journals for writing in.
- Favorite food: Any kind of exotic fruit or fish.
- Favorite drink: Soursop juice. Chinese whisky with ‘special’ herbs.
- Favorite Airline: The cheaper the better. For example, I liked those old Tupolev flying in Iran.
- Favorite Hotel: I like to find one that used to be the best hotel in the city, but say, in the 1920s, and nothing has been done to upgrade or refurbish it, so it’s a charming semi-ruin, in the $5 to $10 a night range.
- Facebook mike.s.bown
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
Ric is also on his own quest to visit every country in the world. You can see where he has traveled so far and keep up with his journey at GlobalGaz.com
How Many Countries Are There?
Well? that depends on who you ask!
Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if you order from Amazon/Agoda.
Download this episode!