Gina Morello Counting Countries has traveled to every country in the world
Gina and I met at the Principality of Sealand in the summer of 2019 during the Extreme Travelers International Congress. And I have been following her travels since that time on social media. She is one of the few women who have completed the quest of chasing 193 and she is accomplished this feat during the Covid pandemic.
Before we speak with Gina, we have an extra special with Babis Bizas who appeared originally on Episode 49. Babis has been traveling since 1976 and is the first person to travel every country in the world twice. Babis has named the 2020 Traveler Of The Year and he shares with us who that is.
Thanks to my patrons Phillip Jones, Thor – Once Upon A Saga – Pedersen, Simen Flotvik Mathisen, William Schelling, Steph Rowe, Ted Nims, Bisa Myles, and Adam Hickman for supporting Counting Countries. They help pay for the production of this podcast. You can support this podcast by going to Patreon.com/CountingCountries. My patrons recently heard a special interview for over 30 minutes with Babis Bizas on why he is supporter of William Baekeland. Fascinating conversation. My patrons will hear the final part of my conversation with Gina.
As a reminder, Counting Countries, will be published every other month. As always I remind you to subscribe wherever you listen and write a review. Check out the new Counting Countries Merch Store. Rick Shaver former guest in Canada is sporting his new Counting Countries shirt.
As a reminder, I want to share a video I just published on Youtube, I am hoping to get feedback from the extreme traveler community. The video titled, How Many Countries Are There In The World, is a deep dive into an eternal debate within the community. Take a look, and tell me if you think I am right or wrong.
Gina’s travel style over the years transformed over time from a two trip to Europe as a grad school student to traversing the Road of Bones in Siberia in the dead of winter. Gina was planning on completing her quest in 2020 until Covid initially interrupted her goals. She completes her goal by visiting her last country with a moving visit to Girl MOVE Academy, a foundation empowering girls and women.
Gina was in Nairobi while I was recording in Bangkok. Please listen in and enjoy.
Thank you to my Patrons …. Phillip Jones, Thor Pedersen, William Schelling, Simen Flotvik Mathisen, Steph Rowe, Adam Hickman, Bisa Myles & Ted Nims.
And how many countries are there in the world, watch this video!
And now you can listen to Counting Countries on Spotify! And Alexa!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts today! And write a review!
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
More About Gina Morello Counting Countries:
- Born in: USA
- Passports: USA, working on an Italian passport if I can find the paperwork
- Favorite Travel Book: Sex Lives of Cannibals
- Favorite Travel Film: Out of Africa
- Favorite Travel Website: IATA’s Timatic application and Flight COnnections
- Must Carry: Slippers and Yeti Thermos
- Favorite Food: Steak from Texas
- Favorite Drink: Red Wine
- Favorite Airline: Qatar Airways
- Favorite Hotel: Any Marriott, I have Titanium status
How Many Countries Are There?
Well… that depends on who you ask!
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 226 countries and territories.
- The Traveler’s Century Club states that there are 329 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 949 unique parts of the world.
- The Nomad Mania divides the world into 1301 regions.
- SISO says there are 3,978 places in the world.
- Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if from some of these links like if you order from Amazon/Agoda/etc. Or book a trip through G Adventures. PS Thanks! Gina Morello Counting Countries