A true global citizen who was inspired to country count after an impulsive wager with a friend.
Mario has lived on 3 continents in 7 different countries. He has had a 30 year career in travel and in IT. Mario on a bet with a childhood friend began his quest to travel the world. I joined Mario at his office at the Pacific Asia Travel Association in Bangkok where he serves as the Chief Executive Officer. In his role, he is able to mix business and leisure travel to explore the world.
More about Mario Hardy:
- Born in: Montreal, Canada
- Passports from: Canada & France
- Favorite travel book: National Geographic
- Favorite travel film: When The Villagers Left by Kyle Sandilands
- Favorite travel site: TripIt | Emirates | Triip.me | Kaligo
- Must carry: iPad, Bose headphones, iTraq GPS Tracker, The Dash (Bragi bluetooth headphone), and running sneakers for my morning run
- Favorite food: Persian, Vietnamese, and Thai
- Favorite drink: Whiskey
- Favorite Airline: Emirates Airlines
- Favorite Hotel: Jetwing Yala Resort – Sri Lanka
- Website: Mario Hardy Bio | | Mario Hardy Linkedin
- Twitter: @Avindico
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
How Many Countries Are There?
Well… that depends on who you ask!
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 225 countries and territories.
- The Century Club states that there are 325 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 875 unique parts of the world.
- The Best Traveled states that there are 1281 unique places in the world.
- Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if you order from Amazon/Agoda.