Maryam has traveled to 130 UN countries
I had the great opportunity speak with Maryam Sultan Abdullah of Kuwait. Ryan Gazder, a former guest of Counting Countries, introduced us via email. And after some time, Maryam and I were able to schedule a time to speak over the internet.
I am reminding you that Counting Countries is partnered with Patreon. Patreon is a platform that allows patrons, that’s you, to support creators, and that is me creating Counting Countries. And thanks to my other patrons, Steph Rowe, Ted Nims, Bisa Myles, Ryan Gazder, and Adam Hickman. As thanks, they are able to listen to additional interviews like the extra interview I did with Maryam that only they will hear.
Counting Countries is offering its first group tour to Madagascar in August of 2020. Please reach out to me with any questions on this trip. In addition, if you are planning trips to places like Antarctica, Svalbard, Galapagos, please consider my partner G Adventures and use my link.
Maryam was launched into the world of travel from a young age with regional trips with her aunt. She then studied overseas both in the US and Europe. Despite being an avid traveler, she was unaware of the counting countries community until just recently. Maryam shares her love of people and the interactions with locals as she travels. And she shares with us, she is in no rush to complete the 193.
I encourage you to subscribe wherever you listen, Apple Podcast, Google Play, or Spotify and write a review, even better when it is 5 stars. Why? Because that is what keeps this podcast going.
Before, we hear from Maryam, I have a brief conversation with Anna, who has quite a unique job. Besides being a tour guide for Untamed Borders, she is a ski coach in Bamiyan, Afghanistan, teaching locals how to ski. Untamed Borders, specializes in challenging locales like Afghanistan, Somalia, and Iraq. Check out their agendas. And here now is Anna.
Thanks to Anna from Untamed Borders, but for now, here’s my conversation with Maryam who was in Kuwait City while I was in Boston. Please listen in and enjoy.
Thank you to my Patrons …. Steph Rowe, Adam Hickman, Bisa Myles, Ted Nims & Ryan Gazder. Maryam Sultan Abdullah Counting Countries.
Be the first on your block to sport official Counting Countries apparel! You can purchase today on Amazon.
And now you can listen to Counting Countries on Spotify! And Alexa!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts today! And write a review!
Check out our friend: Large Minority. They organize international rallies around the world including: Sri Lanka, Cambodia, the Philippines and the Amazon. And watch my full length documentary in Cambodia when I traveled with Large Minority.
Maryam Sultan Abdullah Counting Countries.
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
More About Maryam:
- Born: Kuwait
- Passport: Kuwaiti
- Favorite Book: I read whatever and whenever
- Favorite app or site: Nothing specific but sometimes I check TripAdvisor
- Must carry item: First aid kit
- Favorite food: Fries fries and fries..
- Favorite drink: Shani and Vimto in Kuwait, Inca Cola outside of Kuwait
- Favorite Airline: Qatar for all destinations, Turkish for Europe, Ethiopian for Africa.
- Instagram: @marillimasultan
How Many Countries Are There?
Well… that depends on who you ask!
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 226 countries and territories.
- The Traveler’s Century Club states that there are 327 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 891 unique parts of the world.
- The Nomad Mania divides the world into 1281 regions.
- SISO says there are 3,978 places in the world.
- Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if you order from Amazon/Agoda. Or book a trip through G Adventures. PS Thanks!
Maryam Sultan Abdullah Counting Countries.