Samu before the age of 40 had traveled to all 193 countries on earth. And in one fell swoop, traveled to all 53 countries in Africa.
Samu is one of seven Finns who have traveled to every country in the world. At the age of 39, he had traveled to every country in the world. Though he went back on the road in 2011 to visit South Sudan when it gained its independence.
More about Samu Viljanen:
- Born in: Finland
- Passport from: Finland
- Favorite travel book: Jules Verne’s adventure novels – they inspired me when I was a child.
- Favorite travel site: Hostel World and Booking.com
- Must carry: Enough memory cards to store pictures, a couple of passport photos, photocopy of your passport info page and possible visas, medication for first aid (ulcer cream, antibiotics for a stomach), small travel alarm with a flashlight, and a small padlock.
- Favorite food: Fish
- Favorite drink: Exotic fruit juices in tropical countries
- Favorite Airline: Turkish Airlines
- Favorite Hotel: I favor price and location. I mainly stay in hostels.
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
How Many Countries Are There?
Well… that depends on who you ask!
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 225 countries and territories.
- The Century Club states that there are 324 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 875 unique parts of the world.
- The Best Traveled states that there are 1281 unique places in the world.
Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if you order from Amazon/Agoda.