Tommy Shuai Shao Counting Countries has traveled to 168 countries
I am friends with Tommy on Facebook and also met him on the somewhat famous Adam Hickman Covid Zoom travel trivia game, but he was many of my social media friends who I really did not know. On Tommy’s FB page I noted some interesting posts with a lot of flight maps. It definitely caught my attention and thought I would love to learn more about Chasing 244.
After my conversation with Tommy, I will be checking in with Thor Pedersen again of Once Upon A Saga. I have been documenting Thor’s journey to every country in the world and all of the challenges he has been facing with this pandemic. You will hear a snippet of this conversation but my patrons will hear the entire conversation.
Thanks to Phillip Jones, Simen Flotvik Mathisen, Steph Rowe, Ted Nims, Bisa Myles, Thor Pedersen, and Adam Hickman for supporting Counting Countries. They help pay for the production of this podcast. You can support this podcast by going to Patreon.com/CountingCountries.
I endeavor to interview a diverse set of voices within our community. I want to hear different perspectives and experiences and I believe you appreciate that as well. It has been my shortcoming that I have not had a guest from China, the world’s most populous country. Well, that has been rectified with this conversation with Tommy as we learn about his journey to every country in the world and his recent project of Chasing 244.
I was in Yerevan, Armenia for this recording while Tommy was in Shanghai. Please listen in and enjoy.
Thank you to my Patrons …. Phillip Jones, Thor Pedersen, Simen Flotvik Mathisen, Steph Rowe, Adam Hickman, Bisa Myles & Ted Nims.
And now you can listen to Counting Countries on Spotify! And Alexa!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts today! And write a review!
More About Tommy Shuai Shao Counting Countries:
- Where were you born—Chongqing, China
- What passport (s) do you hold—Chinese, RPC
- Favorite travel book—Lonely Planet
- Favorite travel film—Yomeddine, an Egyptian movie
- Favorite travel app or website—Facebook EPS group
- Must carry item when traveling – plastic bags and a very big airline plastic bag used for collecting trash, which I use as a raincoat.
- Favorite food – Sichuan, I try 95% food
- Favorite drink—natural juice
- Favorite airline—None, I’m not very picky
- Favorite hotel—None, I’m not into hotels
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
How Many Countries Are There?
Well… that depends on who you ask!
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 226 countries and territories.
- The Traveler’s Century Club states that there are 329 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 949 unique parts of the world.
- The Nomad Mania divides the world into 1301 regions.
- SISO says there are 3,978 places in the world.
- Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if from some of these links like if you order from Amazon/Agoda/etc. Or book a trip through G Adventures. PS Thanks! Tommy Shuai Shao Counting Countries