Pongtharin Tanthasindhu – 113 countries … and travelling on a Thai passport
Pong, 28 years old, has traveled to 113 countries is hoping to complete his goal before he turns 35.
Pong has travel in his blood. He started traveling to nearby Asian countries and Europe with his parents as a kid. Pong spent a year as a thirteen year old in Bangalore, India learning English at a strict boarding school. He continued his schooling in Canada as he went to high school and university.
Instead of heading back to Thailand on summer break he ended up visiting his classmate in the middle of Russia in the Urals for two months, living like a local. During university, he took a year off, and began a backpacking trip to the Middle East which included Syria.
Owning his own business has allowed Pong a lot of flexibility in his travels. Pong shares with us why he loves South Africa and why he is not fond of the Gulf States. He takes us to current conflict zones likes Afghanistan and Venezuela. He tells us why he loves the natural beauty of DRC and the hospitality he received in Iran. And Pong shares with us the magic of travel, when he met a random South African family who drove him around showing Pong the real South Africa before dropping him off at the stadium for a World Cup match.
Check out our friends: Chasing 193, Volume II: The Quest To Visit Every Country In The World and Large Minority. They organize international rallies around the world including: Sri Lanka, Cambodia, the Philippines and the Amazon.
More about Pongtharin Tanthasindhu:
- Born in: Thailand
- Passports from: Thailand
- Passport ranking: Thai passport ranked 108th in the world
- Favorite travel film: Into The Wild and Long Way Round
- Favorite websites: Uber, Google Maps, Google Translate, TripAdvisor
- Must carry: Laptop and headlamp
- Favorite food: Thai, Indian and Japanese
- Favorite drink: Beer and Pina Colada
- Favorite Airline: Turkish Airlines
- Map: Nomad Mania
- Facebook: Pong
About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi.
Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia.
How Many Countries Are There?
Well… that depends on who you ask!
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 226 countries and territories.
- The Century Club states that there are 325 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 875 unique parts of the world.
- The Nomad Mania states that there are 1281 unique places in the world.
- Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Check out our partner and sponsor: Chasing 193, Volume II: The Quest To Visit Every Country In The World.
Explore the unique stories from 20 more world-class travelers from various backgrounds and nations and from all walks of life who have tirelessly pursued visiting every country in the world and have filled their lives with a virtually endless amount of adventure.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if you order from Amazon/Agoda.